The GSL Championship rewards models that achieve high levels of craftsmanship and advanced techniques.
The following awards, both official and private, are presented at each Championship at a Sunday morning presentation.
Class Awards. Fourth Place through Best of Class awards will be presented in each Class where there are a minimum of four (4) models in each Class. In special cases, duplicate awards for Second through Fourth Places in each Class may be presented (there will only be one Best of Class award for each Class). If there are fewer than four entries in any Class, the awards will be presented in descending order from Best of Class. Note that the winners for the “Group” Class are selected by popular ballot. For a list of all GSL Classes, go here.
Master Awards. The GSL Championship presents the following Master Awards, selected by the GSL Championship Judges:
- BEST OF SHOW (selected only from among the Best of Class winners),
- Best Paint/Finish,
- Best Interior,
- Best Detail,
- Dave Shuklis Memorial Engineering Award, and the
- Gerald Wingrove Scratchbuilding Award.
- The Modelers’ Choice Master Award is selected by those in attendance.
All Master Awards will be presented. For information on how GSL Judging occurs, please go here.
In addition to the official GSL Championship Awards, there are a few privately-sponsored special awards presented at the GSL Championship that are not selected by GSL Judges:
- Scale Auto magazine will present its “Ricky Couch Show Rod” award. This award is named after Ricky Couch who built so-called Show Rods;
- Model Cars magazine will present its “Best Use of Color” award;
- The Metroplex Car Modelers’ Association present the Bob Barnett Memorial Award and the Klingon Kruiser Award
- The Goodguys Rod & Custom Association will present the “Model D’Elegance Award”;
The International Model Car Builders’ Museum will present “The Roth Award” to the new design (no replicas of any of the Roth cars) that best captures the essence of Big Daddy Roth’s auto design;
- The Museum will also present the “Moose is Loose” Award (in memory of Andy “Moose” Kallen) to the GSL Participant who best represents the spirit of GSL conviviality and hospitality, and
- The Museum also presents “The Augie” for the best presentation of machined parts.
This Award recognizes the pioneering machining work that Augie Hiscano presented in his three Best of Show models and taught to interested builders.
All Awards are be presented during the Awards Presentation and Buffet Sunday morning.